Public Places: Parks/Reservations
Mary Campbell Cave was named for a pioneer girl, who was captured in Pennsylvania by Delaware Indians and brought to the cave, where she lived as a child of Chief Netawatwees. She was released after five years, during the 1764 treaty ending the French and Indian War.
This 62-acre facility was once a gravel pit. Visitors to the park today would never know its past, as they enjoy the grassy slopes and wooded nature trail. Active recreation facilities in the form of football and softball fields are located in this park.
The reservation features picnic areas, a marsh, trails, and a nature center. The rich, deep woodlands support a host of songbirds throughout the year.
Gordon Park has launch ramps with a large parking area for vehicles and trailers. The state park office is located here, as well as a picnic area. Anglers are attracted to the onshore fishing platforms. The adjacent Cleveland Electric & Illuminating Company's warm-water discharge improves winter catches of steelhead and salmon.
Land donated by both the Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company and Gilbert Waltz gave this Metro Park its start in 1930.
Girdled Road Reservation was purchased by Lake Metroparks in 1965. It is named for the first road that the early European settlers built from the Pennsylvania line to the new city of Cleveland in the early 1800s.
Geneva State Park reflects the character and charisma of Lake Erie. The shimmering expanse of the lake lures vacationers who enjoy fishing and boating. Swimmers rejoice in the beautiful sand beach, while nature enthusiasts retreat to the park's freshwater marshes and estuaries associated with the lake.
14 total results