Public Places: Parks/Reservations
Owned by the City of Akron and managed by the Geauga Park District, Headwaters Park is made up of the 425-acre East Branch Reservoir and more than 500 acres surrounding the reservoir. Visitors to Headwaters Park might catch a glimpse of a bald eagle or osprey soaring high above, as well as an occasional great blue heron or loon.
When hikers start out on either of the park's two trails, they will cross a bridge that once was a part of East River Road, before it was moved to its present route in the late 1920s and renamed Akron-Peninsula Road.
Hach-Otis Sanctuary is an 81-acre forested tract overlooking the beautiful Chagrin River valley. Located in Willoughby Hills and within 20 miles of downtown Cleveland, the preserve has been protected as a bird sanctuary since 1944.
Hoffman Forest Reserve provides a delightful respite from the sights and sounds of urban life. Several unpaved trails begin near the parking lot and loop through the reserve. Trails wander through diverse habitats, over and through creeks, up hillsides, and around a meadow.
Helen Hazen Wyman Park was the first park to be acquired by Lake Metroparks in 1959. The park system was known as the Lake County Metropolitan Park District. This property, along the banks of the Grand River, was donated by William Wyman in memory of his mother, Helen Hazen Wyman.
Hubbard Valley Park came into existence as a further benefit of a flood control project on the Chippewa Creek. When the Hubbard Valley Dam was constructed, additional land was purchased to permit the development of a permanent reservoir. This 18-acre lake provides a great spot for family fishing, either from the shore or from your rowboat or canoe.
More than 3,400 acres of horticultural collections, display gardens, hiking trails, educational classes, and natural woodlands.
Hogback Ridge Park, one of the first Lake Metroparks, is named for its most prominent natural feature: a high, narrow ridge of land bounded on two sides by steep valleys. This type of ridge is named for its resemblance to the bony spine of a hog.
Huntington Reservation is located in Bay Village on the shores of Lake Erie. Picnic areas high above the beach offer visitors opportunities to enjoy the striking and ever-changing lake views.
19 total results