Producer Joe Minadeo has his fingers in a lot of pies, the latest of which is an online music label for some of his numerous projects. Patternbased launched at www.Patternbased.com January 31, offering EPs from Akron-based groups Simple Machine, Tokyo Shapiro, and Low in the Sky.
"There will be less of a musical or genre connection between releases at Patternbased, compared to labels like Anticon, Ninja Tune, and 4AD -- with the common thread being simply that the label thought the music was dope and decided to put it out into the world," says Minadeo. "A Patternbased release could be anything we dig."
Minadeo digs hip-hop, but the former Poets of Another Breed bassist usually just uses it as a starting point. Many of his projects use rap vocals or beats, introducing a wide-ranging mix of instrumentation beneath. Simple Machine features the Akron alt-hip-hop crew Hyrlvl rhyming over music from Minadeo, former Poets drummer Pat McNulty, and Low in the Sky singer-keyboardist Krista Tortora.
Patternbased initially will sell releases as downloads, accepting payment via PayPal, offering mp3 files, album artwork, and videos. Minadeo plans his first releases as 6- to 10-song EPs, with half the tracks available as free downloads, the rest for $5. Minadeo will accept submissions from other bands and may start selling CDs if the label generates revenue. Patternbased is also the name of his business, which has recorded music and assembled multimedia presentations for companies such as GE and Sun Microsystems.
"Up to this point, I've been pretty good about creating music," says Minadeo, who has produced discs from POAB, the Cleveland hip-hop collective 12 Monkeys, and the trip-hop goup Racermason. "Now I need to start selling the stuff."
· Columbus-based jam band OAR will appear in-store at the Parma Quonset Hut Saturday, February 7 at 1:00 p.m.
· Akron's Prism Theory will perform live at Tower City Mall's FYE store Saturday, February 7.
· Akron's Voodoo Lounge has changed its web address to www.voodooakron.com. Visit the newly designed site for the club's complete schedule, links, and Akron music news.
· As is its custom, the Phantasy Niteclub complex will celebrate Friday the 13th with a multimedia evening. "Night Gallery III: A Winter's Masquerade" will feature live music from Decadent, Vanity Crash, Maceface, and the Firmary. DJs Siren and DV8 will spin a variety of grooves between sets. Visual art on display will include work by Jay Brown, Diedre Kraska, Phrenzic Photo, and Krista Glowacki.
· Now in its sixth season, Cuyahoga Community College's Crooked River Groove is welcoming studio audiences for the taping of episodes on February 4-6, at 11:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. daily. Regional talent -- including Mint, Jaded Era, Alan Greene & Mr. Stress, and Kelly Chapman -- will perform free at Tri-C's Metro Campus Studio, 2900 Community College Avenue in downtown Cleveland, at the corner of 30th Street and Woodland Avenue, in Media Building E.
Subscribe now to get the latest news delivered right to your inbox.