You searched for:

  • [X]East
  • [X]Mentor/Lake County
  • [X]Public Places
  • [X]Parks/Reservations
Start over

Search for…

Narrow Search

26 results
This 642-acre tract, primarily covered with a mature beech-maple forest, is bisected by Big Creek. Many species of neotropical songbirds migrate from equatorial rainforests to nest in Big Creek Park; wildlife watchers also enjoy spotting deer, turtles, beaver, and small woodland animals.

In 1993, Lake Metroparks acquired 101 acres along the Chagrin River, located in the communities of Eastlake and Willoughby. Most of the park's natural areas are made up of dense shrubs, with pockets of mature forest bordering wetland areas. The Chagrin River is the park's southern boundary. Look for great blue herons, kingfishers, bank swallows, and sandpipers near the river.

Girdled Road Reservation was purchased by Lake Metroparks in 1965. It is named for the first road that the early European settlers built from the Pennsylvania line to the new city of Cleveland in the early 1800s.

Hach-Otis Sanctuary is an 81-acre forested tract overlooking the beautiful Chagrin River valley. Located in Willoughby Hills and within 20 miles of downtown Cleveland, the preserve has been protected as a bird sanctuary since 1944.
Helen Hazen Wyman Park was the first park to be acquired by Lake Metroparks in 1959. The park system was known as the Lake County Metropolitan Park District. This property, along the banks of the Grand River, was donated by William Wyman in memory of his mother, Helen Hazen Wyman.

More than 3,400 acres of horticultural collections, display gardens, hiking trails, educational classes, and natural woodlands.

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places by the National Park Service, Indian Point has one of the earliest architectural works in this part of Ohio.

The district features 28 parks, two golf courses, three lakefront locations, nature and wildlife centers, and agricultural theme park.

The trademark of this park is its mile-long sand beach, the largest in the state. In addition to its popularity during the summer season with picnickers and swimmers, the area is home to many plant species typically found only along the Atlantic Coast.

Mentor Marsh, which was designated a national natural landmark in 1966, occupies an ancient, abandoned channel of the Grand River. A beech-sugar maple forest occupies the higher elevations bordering the marsh. At the eastern edge of the preserve, there is a mixed oak swamp forest, a type destroyed in most parts of the Lake Erie region.

The reservation includes a nature center and nature-education building, a number of trails, and picnic areas. Sanctuary Marsh and Sunset Pond are both popular areas to observe waterfowl. The reservation is also home to Manakiki Golf Course, located off SOM Center and Eddy roads in Willoughby Hills.

The falls were once called Bakers Falls, named for the Baker family, who had lived in the area since the early 1800s and operated one of the first mills. In 1974, the area was named Paine Falls, at which time it was dedicated as a park by Lake Metroparks.

More than 400 acres of natural beauty. Enjoy hiking trails, picnic shelters, exhibits, a gift shop, and wildlife center.

The outdoor sculpture known as "Squaw Rock" in South Chagrin Reservation was carved by artist and blacksmith Henry Church in 1885. During his life, the American Indians knew only hardship at the hands of white settlers. Henry Church was compelled to tell the story of the American Indians. He called this work The Rape of the Indians by the White Man.
The Walter C. Best Preserve features a 30-acre lake that attracts ducks, geese, grebes, mergansers, gulls, terns, and herons at various times of the year. More than 100 species of birds have been sighted on Best Preserve's 101 acres.

26 total results

Calendar

Newsletters

Never miss a beat

Sign Up Now

Subscribe now to get the latest news delivered right to your inbox.

Facebook Activity


© 2015 Cleveland Scene: 737 Bolivar Rd., Suite 4100, Cleveland, OH 44115, (216) 241-7550
Logos and trademarks on this site are property of their respective owners.


Website powered by Foundation