Public Places: Parks/Reservations
Sand Run Parkway and many of the shelters and other structures along its route were constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps during the 1930s. The park opened in 1929 and was the first Metro Park in Summit County. Mingo Indians used the Mingo Pavilion area as a campsite.
Sandy Ridge is a 310-acre wetland and wildlife preserve, divided almost equally between forest, meadow, and marsh. A favorite of naturalists and bird-watchers, Sandy Ridge has more than 100 bird species on its breeding list and is rich in other wildlife as well.
Otto Schoepfle did not start out to create a botanical garden. Instead, he referred to it as "the garden that grew." He traveled throughout Europe to study and learn about different botanical varieties, coming home after each trip with new ideas for plantings. This continual pursuit of learning became a dominant force in his philosophy of life.
Fifty-acre Silver Creek Lake has a swimming beach (a fee is charged in the summer) and fishing and boating facilities. The Bridle Trail is the only one in the Summit County system for horses and their owners.
The outdoor sculpture known as "Squaw Rock" in South Chagrin Reservation was carved by artist and blacksmith Henry Church in 1885. During his life, the American Indians knew only hardship at the hands of white settlers. Henry Church was compelled to tell the story of the American Indians. He called this work The Rape of the Indians by the White Man.
18 total results