Public Places: Parks/Reservations
Girdled Road Reservation was purchased by Lake Metroparks in 1965. It is named for the first road that the early European settlers built from the Pennsylvania line to the new city of Cleveland in the early 1800s.
Land donated by both the Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company and Gilbert Waltz gave this Metro Park its start in 1930.
Gordon Park has launch ramps with a large parking area for vehicles and trailers. The state park office is located here, as well as a picnic area. Anglers are attracted to the onshore fishing platforms. The adjacent Cleveland Electric & Illuminating Company's warm-water discharge improves winter catches of steelhead and salmon.
Mary Campbell Cave was named for a pioneer girl, who was captured in Pennsylvania by Delaware Indians and brought to the cave, where she lived as a child of Chief Netawatwees. She was released after five years, during the 1764 treaty ending the French and Indian War.
This 62-acre facility was once a gravel pit. Visitors to the park today would never know its past, as they enjoy the grassy slopes and wooded nature trail. Active recreation facilities in the form of football and softball fields are located in this park.
Hach-Otis Sanctuary is an 81-acre forested tract overlooking the beautiful Chagrin River valley. Located in Willoughby Hills and within 20 miles of downtown Cleveland, the preserve has been protected as a bird sanctuary since 1944.
When hikers start out on either of the park's two trails, they will cross a bridge that once was a part of East River Road, before it was moved to its present route in the late 1920s and renamed Akron-Peninsula Road.
Owned by the City of Akron and managed by the Geauga Park District, Headwaters Park is made up of the 425-acre East Branch Reservoir and more than 500 acres surrounding the reservoir. Visitors to Headwaters Park might catch a glimpse of a bald eagle or osprey soaring high above, as well as an occasional great blue heron or loon.
Helen Hazen Wyman Park was the first park to be acquired by Lake Metroparks in 1959. The park system was known as the Lake County Metropolitan Park District. This property, along the banks of the Grand River, was donated by William Wyman in memory of his mother, Helen Hazen Wyman.
224 total results