Update VI: Remember Daniel Harless, everyone's favorite threat-shouting, banana's-crazy, short-tempered Canton cop? The one who was caught on video not once, not twice, but at least three times threatening to shoot suspects? Well, he was fired back in January for his transgressions, but a mediator determined that he's eligible to get his job back. As of last week, according to NewsNet5, Harless had yet to apply. Maybe he's just waiting until after he gets all his aggression out on a turkey this week.
Update V: Harless is now appealing his dismissal. An arbitration is scheduled. He shouldn't hold his breath. (Canton Rep)
Update IV: According to the chief of police in Canton, Daniel Harless has been fired from the force because of those oh-so-nasty arrest videos that drew the ire of just about everyone.
Good riddance. (Fox 8)
Update III: The concealed carry charges against William Bartlett, the guy on the unfortunate end of notorious Canton cop and hot-head Daniel Harless' berserk threats in the incident below, which spawned an internal investigation and administrative leave for the officer. (Fox 8)
Update II: U.S. District Judge Gregory Frost ruled today that Ohio can begin killing people again, even though he has concerns.
Executions had been put on an informal hold as courts ruled whether the state followed its own guidelines in lethal injections. There had been some, uh, minor hiccups, including a guy who survived an execution.
Mark Wiles is scheduled to be executed on April 18.
Frost said today he is "admittedly skeptical" about Ohio's ability to carry the execution out properly, but said he's ruling in favor of the state, while warning officials to get it right.
"They must recognize the consequences that will ensue if they fail to succeed in conducting a constitutionally sound execution of Wiles," Frost wrote.
Update: The Supreme Court has ruled that, much like a 15-year-old boy left home alone with unfettered and unsupervised access to the internet, the state of Ohio can't be trusted.
Update IV: The ballot issue failed; Oakwood will remain zoned for development and the project will go forward. No need for heated outlashes, gloating, or poor sportsmanship.
Unless you're South Euclid Council President David Miller, that is, who after the victory, spoke to opponents of the project when he told the Sun Messenger, “Thank you and goodbye. Crawl back under the rock you came from.”
He sort of apologized at a later council meeting, according to the paper, but not really.
Update III: A signature drive and a fresh batch of outrage at the availability of $5 tube socks delivered voters the right to decide whether the former Oakwood country club property would be zoned for development or something more east-sidey, like a park, or 10 mph speed trap. Congratulations. Unfortunately, the latest news proves that the vote itself might not only fail, but it could be completely impotent should it succeed.
The PD reports that South Euclid mayor Mayor Georgine Welo thinks voters will decide to keep the commercial zoning. Bummer. But beyond that, First Interstate Properties might be able to appeal to have the commercial zoning grandfathered in, regardless of what the voters decide. That, in effect, might be feasible because the commercial zoning was set by council before First Interstate Properties owned the property. Double bummer.
Triple bummer: the South Euclid law director says the pending vote won't stop the developer from proceeding with work before citizens head to the ballot-box.
(For some awesome history on the country club itself, check out this post from Cleveland Area History.)
Update II: Last we checked in with the fight against the rezoning of the former Oakwood Country Club, Citizens for Oakwood had had their petition ruled invalid on a super minor technicality: they handed off the paperwork to a South Euclid clerk instead of the city finance director. First Interstate Properties pounced on the error, hoping to prevent the referendum from hitting the ballots in November and expediting their plans to build.
Update: Frank Dienes had already been ruled competent to stand trial by one doctor but his legal team had been considering asking the judge to allow a second independent doctor to rule on Dienes' mental state. That was up until yesterday. Wednesday morning Dienes' lawyers told the court Dienes would accept the first doctor's ruling. (In the original post below, Dienes had been scolded by the judge for trying to game the system and convince doctors that he was mentally unbalanced.)
Judge Russo said any plea agreement that would be made would have to be completed by September 21, otherwise Dienes will head to trial November 14. (NewsNet5) — Grzegorek
Doctors have determined Frank Dienes has sufficient marbles to stand trial for the murder of Seven Hills’ eccentric Joe Kopp. As we reported in May, Dienes is accused of shooting Kopp and burying the body in the backyard of his leafy suburban spread; he’s also has been liked to the Amy Mihaljevic case — a connection that has created a mini-storm of media interest around the bizarre murder.
Yesterday morning, Dienes was in court again, this time fielding a finger wagging from Judge John Russo. His eminence said the defendant was trying to fake his way through pysch examinations.
Update III: A third update on a story about — gasp — beer and liquor possibly being served in the statehouse? Yep. The AP chimes in this time with a lengthy piece as debate continues over whether a bar will open in the statehouse basement. Citing hype-filled stories and a media blitz, the caterer in charge of the current cafe says the whole topic has gotten out of hand, as evidenced by a commission which is now weighing the merits and drawbacks of letting lawmakers, who drink in their office anyway, buy a rum and coke down the hall.
Sen. Bill Seitz, a Cincinnati Republican, makes the most sense. Speaking to the AP, he said: "My point of view is Prohibition ended in the 1930s, so what's the big deal? We're not talking about putting George Jones and Willie Nelson on the jukebox and having people spending all their waking hours in the Capitol Cafe, drowning their sorrows. But the idea that there's alcohol in the Statehouse should be completely unsurprising to anyone."
Update: The last time we checked in with Miles Hartman, he was pillaging the Alliance police locker room, walking off with a bullet-proof vest during a citizen ride-along. Cops had video of the incident, so the ride-along went straight to jail.
This time Hartman didn't try to steal anything, but the security guard did tell a hospital that he was an Alliance police officer when applying for a job. He, of course, is not, despite his penchant for making news by being arrested, the newest of those entries: impersonating a police officer. We're already preparing for next week's story about Hartman pulling over speeders and trying to ticket them. It's bound to happen. (WOIO)
Generally you want to steer clear of the cops if you're going to commit a crime. They teach this in Criminals 101 down at the local community college. Visiting a police station as a civilian on a "ride along" qualifies as one of those times when thievery should be avoided, what with all the cops around and all.
Update III: The Ohio Coalition for Medical Compassion, a grassroots effort in the truest sense of the word, is working on collecting those 1,000 valid signatures still. You can download a petition from their site and get to work, if medical marijuana is your speed. They hope to collect 2,500 in total over the next two weeks, but they clearly need some help — they sport just 431 Twitter followers, which isn't the most precise way of measuring support, but it's not the worst.
Update II: Of the 2,143 signatures collected by the group behind the medical marijuana amendment proposal, 1,000 needed to be valid to move the process along. No dice. Ohio AG Mike Dewine certified only 534 as valid, leaving the group 466 short.