The NASA John H. Glenn Research Center at Lewis Field in Cleveland, Ohio, was founded in 1942 and initially named the Aircraft Engine Research Laboratory. In 1947 it was renamed the Flight Propulsion Research Laboratory, and in 1948 the Lewis Flight Propulsion Laboratory after George W. Lewis, head of NACA from 1919 to 1947. It became the NASA Lewis Research Center in 1958.
It was renamed the NASA John H. Glenn Research Center at Lewis Field after astronaut and former Ohio senator John Glenn in 1999.
Photos used with permission from NASA and the Cleveland Memory Project