November 10, 2014

9 Vintage Photos of the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland and Vaults

The Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland first opened in 1914 on Euclid Avenue, where it lived for nine years before moving to its current home on Superior Avenue and East 6th Street. With these photos, courtesy of the Cleveland Memory Project, here's a glimpse inside Cleveland's rich banking history and into the vaults where some of the city's most valuable treasures were housed.
Scroll down to view images

Join the Cleveland Scene Press Club

At a time when local-based reporting is critical, support from our readers is essential to our future. Join the Cleveland Scene Press Club for as little as $5 a month

Exterior view of the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland at 1455 East 6th Street, 1939.
Exterior view of the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland at 1455 East 6th Street, 1939.
Employees pushing a cart to the vault, 1959.
Employees pushing a cart to the vault, 1959.
Bonds being received, 1942.
Bonds being received, 1942.
Money in sacks piled high at the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, 1940.
Money in sacks piled high at the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, 1940.
View of the 17-ton door and vault at the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland in the basement of the Williamson Building, 215 Euclid Ave.
View of the 17-ton door and vault at the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland in the basement of the Williamson Building, 215 Euclid Ave.
The vaults in the Federal Reserve Bank, 1923.
The vaults in the Federal Reserve Bank, 1923.
Two bank employees are seen wheeling a trunk into the vault, 1959.
Two bank employees are seen wheeling a trunk into the vault, 1959.
The seal of the state of Ohio inside the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, 1965.
The seal of the state of Ohio inside the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, 1965.
East 6th Street Entrance, 1933.
East 6th Street Entrance, 1933.