A Nostalgic Trip Through Coventry Road From the 1920s to 1980s

Coventry Village has been the breathing heart of Cleveland Heights for generations. In the early 20th century, it was one of the main retail and restaurant districts of the eastern suburbs and a major hub for the growing Jewish community. In the 1960s, it turned into a hippie enclave filled with head shops and record stores with a strong artistic vibe. While its undergone massive changes and business turnover throughout the years, its still at its heart remained an artistic enclave right outside the city. All photos via the Cleveland Memory Project.

Scroll down to view images

Join the Cleveland Scene Press Club

At a time when local-based reporting is critical, support from our readers is essential to our future. Join the Cleveland Scene Press Club for as little as $5 a month

 Heights Hardware Co. & The Fisher Bros. Co., 1926

Heights Hardware Co. & The Fisher Bros. Co., 1926

A Nostalgic Trip Through Coventry Road From the 1920s to 1980s
 Burrow's & Amedeo's Shoe Shop, 1935

Burrow's & Amedeo's Shoe Shop, 1935

 Heights Savings and Loan Co., 1935

Heights Savings and Loan Co., 1935

 Allied Drugs, 1935

Allied Drugs, 1935

 Bruder's, Edward's Food Stores & Schaffer's Quality Food Market, 1935

Bruder's, Edward's Food Stores & Schaffer's Quality Food Market, 1935

 A&P, Spanner Flowers, Hoffman's, 1935

A&P, Spanner Flowers, Hoffman's, 1935

 J. Benkovitz Restaurant, 1938

J. Benkovitz Restaurant, 1938

 Newmark's Bake Shoppe, 1948

Newmark's Bake Shoppe, 1948

 Motter's Music House, 1948

Motter's Music House, 1948