An Akron resident called 911 after finding his 2-year-old daughter unresponsive Wednesday morning, authorities reported.
Suspecting the toddler had overdosed on an opiate substance found in the home, Akron first responders used Narcan to revive her. She was later taken to Akron Children's Hospital, where she is stable.
Lt. Rick Edwards told
News 5 Cleveland that the girl's father was prescribed Suboxone
by a doctor.
"This is one of those cases where somebody is being irresponsible by leaving medications or their drug wrappers or drugs laying out where children can get it," Edwards said.
Summit County Children Services have taken the child into custody, as well as an 8-year-old also living in the home. The case remains under investigation.
This is the fifth
Summit County child 6 years old or under to have overdosed on opiates in the last 18 months.