Krokodil, a Horrible Flesh-Eating Drug, Spotted in Ohio

Share on Nextdoor

Screenshot, 10TV
  • Screenshot, 10TV

A terrible flesh-eating drug called Krokodil (pronounced crocodile) may have made its way to Ohio, authorities in Columbus Ohio report.

A homeless man in Columbus told medics he had used the drug, which is more potent and destructive than heroin.

Krokodil, which is named for the greenish-black raised lesions it causes after injection, is made by cooking crushed codeine pills with household hydrocarbons like paint thinner and gasoline. The impurities in the household chemicals cause flesh to decay.

“You literally start rotting from the inside out," Dr. Abhin Singla, who said he treated krokodil users in Joliet, Ill., told the Sun-Times. "It’s a horrific way to get sick. Intensive treatment and skin grafts are required, but they are often not enough to save limbs or lives.”

The homeless man receiving medical care said he had taken the drug and had lesions similar to those derived from krokodil, WBNS-TV reported last week.

Other cases of the homemade morphine derivative has been reported in Arizona, Illinois and Oklahoma, but the Drug Enforcement Administration still has not confirmed the official presence of krokodil in the United States.

Here's the full report from 10TV, but be warned, the images are graphic.

About The Author

Alaina Nutile

Alaina Nutile is the Web Editor who oversees all digital content and social media initiatives for Cleveland Scene Magazine and Detroit Metro Times. Before joining the staff in June 2013, she interned at Business Insider in New York City, and at La Hora in Quito, Ecuador. Alaina is a graduate of Kalamazoo College...
Scroll to read more Cleveland News articles

Newsletters

Join Cleveland Scene Newsletters

Subscribe now to get the latest news delivered right to your inbox.