Our weekly roundup of interesting happenings, minor happenings, stuff you missed, stuff we missed, and assorted fun.
Citing a toxic GOP environment and calling Donald Trump a "cancer on the country," Rep. Anthony Gonzalez announced last night he will not be seeking re-election.
Gonzalez, in a statement and in an interview with the New York Times, said the atmosphere and hatred he and his family endured after his vote to impeach Trump contributed to the decision.
See my full statement below regarding my decision not to seek re-election. pic.twitter.com/vsggxjD1FI— Rep. Anthony Gonzalez (@RepAGonzalez) September 17, 2021
While he will leave office, he will not be through working to ensure a political future that exists without Trump.
“I don’t believe he can ever be president again,” he told the NYT. “Most of my political energy will be spent working on that exact goal.”
- The historic Dobama Theatre has released a filmed version of "How to Be a Respectable Junkie," which is well worth some of your time this weekend.
- Are you ready for some Cleveland ranch water from Great Lakes Brewing Co.? You should be.
- Already fretting about possible supply chain issues affecting your holiday shopping? Get a head start and keep it local with some help from Cleveland Magazine, which just featured 30 local makers you should be supporting this year.
- Digit Widget
15% - Cleveland voter turnout in the mayoral primary
$194 million - August revenue from Ohio casinos and racinos, a new record month.
210 - Rooms planned for a new W hotel in the Erieview Tower. Construction will begin in 2022.
285 - Refugees from Afghanistan who will be coming to Cleveland on humanitarian parole, Gov. Mike DeWine announced this week.
- What's Scene dining editor Doug Trattner eating this week?
- Vintage photo of the week: