-The Cleveland Clinic has developed an app for the iPhone and iPod Touch geared towards managing the stress in your life. The app, called Stress Meditations, contains eight different exercises to relax your mind and body, whether that be learning to control your breathing or focusing your mind. Each exercise is paired with narration and a "soothing image," such as Jessica Biel in a cat suit. According to the article, 54 percent of Americans are concerned about the level of stress in their lives. The other 46 percent? On a beach in Cancun somewhere. Damn those mojitos and their stress relieving powers! (MedCity News)
-PETA, being the kind and generous organization that they are, has offered to resurrect Jesus. And by resurrect Jesus, I mean they have offered to rebuild the 62-foot King of Kings statue at the Solid Rock Church that burned to the ground on June 14 after being struck by lightning. Their idea? A statue of Jesus holding a lamb with the words "Blessed are the merciful. Go Vegan." Pastor Lawrence Bishop "does not think he will contact PETA to respond." In other words, get your vegan agenda away from my church PETA! (MSNBC)
-A Cleveland judge threw the book at two property-holding companies for neglecting their respective investments around the city. But Columbus officials have opted for a more lenient route in punishing similar offenders, pointing to such fines as one reason Cleveland hasn't seen much investing in property these days. But while Cleveland has lost half its population since 1950, Columbus is seeing no shortage of investments. (Columbus Dispatch)
-In a bizarre twist in the slow bleeding out of the housing market, Ohio saw sales of new and existing houses increase 10.6 percent from April to May. In Northeast Ohio, sales were up 3.6 percent. Even condo sales are seeing a push. National figures, however, aren't looking as hot, dropping 2.2 percent in that same time frame. All the while, Ohio's unemployment rate remains above the national average. Analysts are finding this to be a real head-scratcher. (Cleveland.com)
-Guess what? Youngstown, that steel town between here and Pittsburgh with no more steel mills, appears to be on the verge of opening a new mill in a lovely part of east side suburb Campbell, known as the brownfields, and then will likely expand the mill into the city proper. Looks like The Boss might have to rewrite his old tune. "My sweet Jenny, I found a job. Here, darling, in Youngstown..." (Youngstown Vindicator)
We welcome readers to submit letters regarding articles and content in Cleveland Scene. Letters should be a minimum of 150 words, refer to content that has appeared on Cleveland Scene, and must include the writer's full name, address, and phone number for verification purposes. No attachments will be considered. Writers of letters selected for publication will be notified via email. Letters may be edited and shortened for space.
Email us at [email protected].
Support Local Journalism.
Join the Cleveland Scene Press Club
Local journalism is information. Information is power. And we believe everyone deserves access to accurate independent coverage of their community and state. Our readers helped us continue this coverage in 2020, and we are so grateful for the support.
Help us keep this coverage going in 2021. Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing membership pledge, your support goes to local-based reporting from our small but mighty team.
Subscribe now to get the latest news delivered right to your inbox.