Support Local Journalism. Join the Cleveland Scene Press Club.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Occupy Cleveland Goes Quiet After Permit Denial by City, Promises to Occupy Stuff in the Future

Posted By on Wed, May 16, 2012 at 10:01 AM

occupy-cleveland.jpg

Recent events have left the local Occupy movement sporting a black eye, prompting rumors and mounting evidence that the Cleveland protest movement is dying a quiet death some eight months after its launch in conjunction with Occupy Wall Street.

Earlier this month, the city pulled up stakes on the group’s Public Square tent, which had been an ever-present if unsightly reminder of Occupy’s mission: to instigate backlash against America’s wealthy institutions, primarily through daring displays of facial hair.

Two days earlier, news broke that five morons caught trying to blow up a Route 82 bridge were members of Occupy Cleveland.

These days, the group’s website, for months updated regularly with Occupy news, is now overrun by spam advertising Prada and Chanel knockoffs, which, incidentally, don’t look half bad onscreen. No actual news has been posted since May 5, and calls and e-mails to once-responsive media contacts have gone unanswered.

The only signs of activity are a few tweets from a BreaKBeatJunkee and a JuiceBoxJuss saying the group is holed up at the Walton Avenue Warehouse, where it rents space.

This is a far cry from a few months ago, when Occupy announced plans to turn its single tent on Public Square into an entire tent city for the summer.

Nonetheless, somebody named Jonnie answered the phone formerly associated with the tent this week. He insists those plans are still under way.

“We aren’t going anywhere soon,” he says somewhat cryptically, adding that the group is still holding assemblies every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 6 p.m. where the tent used to be. And within a couple weeks, Occupy members will decide on a plan of action so that they can, y’know, occupy something again.

“It might be a battle with the city to establish a permanent place [on Public Square] for us to be,” says Jonnie. “Frank Jackson’s already shown his disdain for the movement.”

The city says it didn’t renew Occupy’s tent permit because the tent “will hinder the increased use of Public Square by the public in the spring and summer,” according to a letter it sent to the group. That sounds more like a casino issue than a disdain issue.

For now, Jonnie’s answer is, “a permit’s not really a necessary thing.” The city might possibly see otherwise.

Tags: ,

We welcome readers to submit letters regarding articles and content in Cleveland Scene. Letters should be a minimum of 150 words, refer to content that has appeared on Cleveland Scene, and must include the writer's full name, address, and phone number for verification purposes. No attachments will be considered. Writers of letters selected for publication will be notified via email. Letters may be edited and shortened for space.

Email us at news@clevescene.com.

Support Local Journalism.
Join the Cleveland Scene Press Club


Local journalism is information. Information is power. And we believe everyone deserves access to accurate independent coverage of their community and state. Our readers helped us continue this coverage in 2020, and we are so grateful for the support.


Help us keep this coverage going in 2021. Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing membership pledge, your support goes to local-based reporting from our small but mighty team.


Join the Cleveland Scene Press Club for as little as $5 a month.

Read the Digital Print Issue

December 1, 2021

View more issues

Newsletters

Never miss a beat

Sign Up Now

Subscribe now to get the latest news delivered right to your inbox.

Calendar

© 2021 Cleveland Scene: 737 Bolivar Rd., Suite 4100, Cleveland, OH 44115, (216) 505-8199
Logos and trademarks on this site are property of their respective owners.


Website powered by Foundation