Join the Cleveland Scene Press Club. Because No News is Bad News.

Monday, June 19, 2017

19-Year-Old Electrocuted After Trying to Save Dad and Dog at Put-in-Bay Marina

Posted By on Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 3:33 PM

PHOTO VIA RACHELS.LENS/INSTAGRAM
  • Photo via rachels.lens/Instagram
A 19-year-old died at a Put-in-Bay marina on Friday, after he jumped into water with an electric current to help his father and dog.

The incident occurred around 6:30 p.m. at Miller Marina, where the Currie family of Dublin, Ohio, had just docked their boat. According to an incident report, after the family plugged in the marina's shore power to the boat, their dog Daisy fell into the electrically-charged waters. Jeffrey Currie leaped in to rescue her.



"The second my toe hit the water jumping in, I knew there was a current," Currie told Cleveland 19 News. "I felt like I was hit with a stun gun."

When Evan Currie and his younger brother saw them both struggling, they jumped in to help. Jeffrey Currie said his son managed to shout "electricity" between convulsions from the current.

At the urging of observers, Mrs. Currie unplugged the boat's power. After the brothers, father and dog returned to the boat, Evan was unresponsive. He was administered CPR and taken to Port Clinton, but according to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR), passed away at the scene.

An investigation by an electrician, hired by ODNR, found that all power outlets nearby were working properly at the time.

While Currie's exact cause of death has not yet been declared, it was likely electric shock drowning, which can cause paralysis and, subsequently, death for swimmers.

Last year, an Alabama family suffered a similar incident, as well as a family in New Jersey just yesterday.

The Johnsons of Alabama have since publicly emphasized the importance of water safety involving electricity; prior to their 15-year-old daughter's death, they were not aware that docks could carry electric currents and have such serious consequences for those who enter the water.

The Electric Shock Drowning Association calls the issue a "silent killer" and, in their list of ways to prevent it from happening, notes that people should never enter the water surrounding marinas, docks or boatyards, and encourages boat owners to have their vessels inspected by electricians.

You can learn more about water safety and preventing electric shock drowning here.

Tags: , , ,

We welcome readers to submit letters regarding articles and content in Cleveland Scene. Letters should be a minimum of 150 words, refer to content that has appeared on Cleveland Scene, and must include the writer's full name, address, and phone number for verification purposes. No attachments will be considered. Writers of letters selected for publication will be notified via email. Letters may be edited and shortened for space.

Email us at news@clevescene.com.

Cleveland Scene works for you, and your support is essential.

Our small but mighty local team works tirelessly to bring you high-quality, uncensored news and cultural coverage of Cleveland and beyond.

Unlike many newspapers, ours is free – and we'd like to keep it that way, because we believe, now more than ever, everyone deserves access to accurate, independent coverage of their community.

Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing pledge, your support helps keep Cleveland's true free press free.

More on Scene & Heard

Read the Digital Print Issue

November 18, 2020

View more issues

Newsletters

Never miss a beat

Sign Up Now

Subscribe now to get the latest news delivered right to your inbox.

Calendar

© 2020 Cleveland Scene: 737 Bolivar Rd., Suite 4100, Cleveland, OH 44115, (216) 505-8199
Logos and trademarks on this site are property of their respective owners.


Website powered by Foundation