Tuesday, June 19, 2018
These Cleveland-Area Summer Fitness Classes and Events Are Completely Free
By Sarah Parr
on Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 3:47 PM
- 121 Fitness Center hosts Silent-yoga outside in Toby's Plaza (11440 Uptown Ave.) Sundays at 11 a.m.
- 121 Fitness hosts more outdoor yoga on the Quad of Case Western Reserve University (behind Adelbert Hall, 2040 Adelbert Rd.) Tuesdays at noon. The rain site is in the Student Organization Center in room 150 of the Tinkham Veale University Center (11038 Bellflower Rd.). Towels are provided, but bringing your own mat is encouraged.
- Cain Park (14591 Superior Rd., Cleveland Heights) is known for its array of free performances and events. But before those special outings on select Tuesdays from 6 to 7 p.m., Fridays and Saturdays from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. and Sundays from noon to 1 p.m., Confluence Cycle Yoga offers outdoor yoga in the park. Bring your own mat and relax in a natural setting.
- North Coast Harbor Namaste (Voinovich Bicentennial Park, 800 E. 9 St.)is brought to you by 16 yoga studios and instructors from all over Northeast Ohio. Classes are 45 minutes long on Tuesdays starting at 6:15 p.m., and all levels are welcome.
- Shine bright under the outdoor chandelier in Playhouse Square on June 30 at 10 a.m. for a round of #shinebright yoga. Bring your own mat and a friend to join this all-levels yoga experience. Rain site is a TBD theater lobby.
- Slow Roll Cleveland is a social bicycling group that embraces cyclers of all ages and levels. While the outings technically aren't classes, the event's atmosphere is sure to make you feel like you're in one. Rides start from different locations every Monday at 7 p.m. Check their schedule for complete details.
- Century Cycles hosts Towpath Trail nighttime bike rides for everyone, sometimes with special themes. Rides are Saturdays at 8 p.m. and you must bring your own bicycle, helmet and headlight. Other lighting accessories are fun but optional. Meet at their store in Peninsula (Rt. 303 between Rt. 8 and I-271).
- Spin Bike Shop offers supportive Wednesday night bike ride groups for everyone from racers to cycle enthusiasts. Group A (racers) depart the starting point at 6:10 p.m.
- Members of the Walking Club meet in front of 121 Fitness (2130 Adelbert Rd.) every Monday, Wednesday and Thursday at noon to enjoy warm weather, conversation and walking through more than a mile of University Circle.
- Northeast Running Club welcomes runners and walkers alike to take on a variety of courses at different times on Saturdays, Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Among these various workouts, there is something for everyone.
- Enjoy the natural beauty of Cuyahoga Valley National Park with the Crooked River Trail Runners, who meet at different locations each Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. Cross creeks, climb mini mountains, appreciate wildlife and know that runners in this group have each other's backs.
- Join Run with the Winners Club's 9 a.m. on Saturdays to feel like a winner. With different themes from the beach to brunch, this ever-moving experience is likely to be a win-win.
- Medina County Road Runners's TGIF 9 a.m. coffee runs are open to all and encourage you to get to know the group with coffee at Cool Beans (2215 103 W. Liberty St., Medina) after the day's three-to-five mile jog.
- 121 Fitness brings da funk with their Silent-headphone Zumba classes in Toby's Plaza alternating Sundays at noon. Wireless bluetooth headphones are supplied to participants on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Starz Ballroom hosts Latin Dancing outside in Crocker Park (189 Crocker Park Blvd., Westlake) in front of Nordstrom Rack on June 30. The salsa lesson starts at 6 p.m. and then social dancing is 6:30 to 8 p.m. (Perfect after a morning of yoga under a big chandelier.)
- Don't let Run Wild CLE fool you by its name. This group encompasses all kinds of movement, not just running: skipping, dancing, jumping and more. During the summer, this all-levels crew meets three Fridays each month at 7 p.m. in different locations.
- Orangetheory Fitness hosts its famous Bootcamp-style fitness class outside in Toby's Plaza alternating Sundays at noon.
- Thanks to Recess Cleveland, Recess games featuring kickball, capture the flag, music, contests and more take over Toby's Plaza Sundays from 1:30 to 4 p.m.
- 121 Fitness hosts Tai Chi outside near the wind turbine on CWRU's campus, close to its studio (which also serves as the rain site), Wednesdays in June at noon.
Exercise is a necessary evil often made more cumbersome by the expense of gyms and fitness classes. But this summer it's time to dust off that yoga mat and dig out your running shoes, as many Cleveland-area organizations are offering free fitness classes and events. Here's where you can go to cheaply feel the burn in Northeast Ohio while the sun is still blazing:
We welcome readers to submit letters regarding articles and content in Cleveland Scene. Letters should be a minimum of 150 words, refer to content that has appeared on Cleveland Scene, and must include the writer's full name, address, and phone number for verification purposes. No attachments will be considered. Writers of letters selected for publication will be notified via email. Letters may be edited and shortened for space.
Email us at [email protected].
Support Local Journalism.
Join the Cleveland Scene Press Club
Local journalism is information. Information is power. And we believe everyone deserves access to accurate independent coverage of their community and state. Our readers helped us continue this coverage in 2020, and we are so grateful for the support.
Help us keep this coverage going in 2021. Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing membership pledge, your support goes to local-based reporting from our small but mighty team.
Join the Cleveland Scene Press Club for as little as $5 a month.