Support Local Journalism. Donate to Cleveland Scene.

Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Cleveland International Film Festival has been Canceled Due to Coronavirus

Posted By on Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 1:42 PM

click to enlarge Mayor Frank Jackson addresses the media (3/11/20).
  • Mayor Frank Jackson addresses the media (3/11/20).

Mayor Frank Jackson announced Tuesday afternoon that the Cleveland International Film Festival would be canceled in an effort to prevent the spread of the novel Coronavirus (Covid-19). The annual cinema showcase, which attracts upwards of 100,000 guests, was to have been held from March 25 to April 5 at Tower City Cinemas and satellite locations.

The announcement follows news earlier Tuesday that the annual St. Patrick's Day parade in downtown Cleveland would be canceled next week. It's the first time the parade will not proceed in more than 175 years. 

Jackson, standing alongside external partners at City Hall, issued a proclamation of Civil Emergency and said that an executive policy group had been formed to advise the city on amendments to city policies and procedures with the goal of minimizing the impact, severity and duration of Covid-19 as it spreads. 



As of the press conference, there were no confirmed cases of Covid-19 in Cleveland. There have been three confirmed cases statewide, however, all of which were located in Cuyahoga County.

Jackson would not speculate on the potential economic impact of the Film Fest's cancellation and the postponement and cancellation of other events in town.

"I have no idea what the economic impact is," Jackson said in response to a question from the media. "And to be honest with you, I don't care right now. To me, the most important thing is minimizing the impact [of the coronavirus]."

Jackson said that the city would provide regular updates in the coming days and weeks and asked that local organizations think about changing policies and canceling events as well.

"We're not in lockdown mode yet," Jackson said. "We're saying for those organizations that have gatherings of people to just consider [canceling]."

Medical professionals in attendance said that a "drive-through testing" process was currently in development for those concerned, but that there was no planned start date or confirmed site. The focus, multiple doctors stressed, was containment of the virus. And the most effective way to contain the spread of a contagious virus is to reduce large gathering of people where transmissions are far more rapid.


***
Sign up for Scene's weekly newsletters to get the latest on Cleveland news, things to do and places to eat delivered right to your inbox.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

We’re keeping you informed…
...and it’s what we love to do. From local politics and culture to national news that hits close to home, Scene Magazine has been keeping Cleveland informed for years.

It’s never been more important to support local news sources, especially as we all deal with the ramifications of the coronavirus pandemic. Almost everything Scene is about -- our stories, our events, our advertisers -- comes down to getting together. With events on hold, and no print distribution for the foreseeable future, every little bit helps.

A free press means accountability and a well-informed public, and we want to keep our unique and independent reporting available for many, many years to come.

If quality journalism is important to you, please consider a donation to Scene. Every reader contribution is valuable and so appreciated, and goes directly to support our coverage of critical issues and neighborhood culture. Thank you.

Comments (2)

Showing 1-2 of 2

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-2 of 2

Add a comment

Newsletters

Never miss a beat

Sign Up Now

Subscribe now to get the latest news delivered right to your inbox.

Calendar

© 2020 Cleveland Scene: 737 Bolivar Rd., Suite 4100, Cleveland, OH 44115, (216) 241-7550
Logos and trademarks on this site are property of their respective owners.


Website powered by Foundation