Join the Cleveland Scene Press Club. Because No News is Bad News.

Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Frank Jackson's Grandson Savagely Beat Woman, Prosecutor Declined to Pursue Charges

Posted By on Wed, Sep 4, 2019 at 9:11 AM

  • The City Club
The grandson of Cleveland Mayor Frank Jackson savagely beat an 18-year-old woman in June, in front of multiple witnesses, yet a Cleveland prosecutor declined to pursue the case, according to an explosive report by's Adam Ferrise.

Frank Q. Jackson, 22, was in the news last week when a vehicle registered in his name was seen fleeing the scene of a fatal shooting on the city's west side. That vehicle was found torched two days later. Another of the younger Jackson's vehicles, a truck, was towed from the Mayor's home when police arrived to investigate.

It was not the first time Frank Q. Jackson had a brush with the law. Earlier this summer, in fact, the 22-year-old pleaded guilty to charges stemming from a traffic stop in May. He had a firearm and prescription painkillers in the truck and was charged, on top of that, with aggravated menacing and aggravated disorderly conduct. He was sentenced in July to two years of probation and placed in the court's drug program. He had been previously arrested for possessing firearms and, in 2016, for illegally riding a dirk bike.

The beating, however, is the most detailed account of violence at Frank Q. Jackson's hands to date. It is significant not only because of Jackson's relation to the Mayor — the younger Jackson lives with his grandfather in the Central neighborhood, and this relationship has undoubtedly insulated him from more serious consequences — but also because the city's failure to seek justice for the victim represents another flagrant example of the administration not taking seriously violence against women.

The Mayor hired the violent abuser Lance Mason in 2017, a scandal that was revealed shortly before that year's election but had marginal, if any, effect on the electorate. Even after Mason brutally murdered his ex-wife, Aisha Fraser, a year later, Jackson astonishingly stood by his hiring

The story of the Frank Q. Jackson's violent attack on an 18-year-old woman was culled from CMHA police reports and published in It began at a gas station on E. 40th and Quincy.

Frank Q. Jackson turned around [in the truck] and punched her in the face several times, according to police reports. He choked the woman “profusely” with both hands around her neck, according to police. The woman told police she suffers from asthma and felt like she was going to lose consciousness, according to police reports.

The woman’s 16-year-old friend told police that she returned to the truck and found her friend gasping for breath while Frank Q. Jackson attacked her, according to police reports.

The girl said she tried to intervene but Jackson ordered her out of the truck, police reports say.

Frank Q. Jackson stopped and said he’d drop both the woman and girl off at an apartment building on East 49th Street. While driving to the apartment, he attacked the 18-year-old woman a second time, the report says.

At the apartment, Frank Q. Jackson dragged the 18-year-old woman out of the truck by her hair, across the grass and onto the sidewalk, police reports say.

He choked her again and punched her in the face and body, police reports say. He went back to the truck, grabbed a metal hitch and struck her several times in the left knee with it, police reports say.
Police were promptly called. But as they questioned the victim, who identified Frank Q. Jackson as her attacker, Jackson returned to the apartment and drove slowly drove down the street, speeding away when police gave chase. His mother later did the same, driving slowly and threateningly by, and police noted that members of Frank Q. Jackson's family "began to drive around the area."

The victim noted, though it was surely superfluous, that she feared retaliation. Days later, she said she would not press charges against her attacker.

Assistant City Prosecutor Aric Kinast, an 18-year-veteran in the office, declined to pursue the case despite the abundance of evidence. quoted another prosecutor saying that pursuing cases of this sort, even without the victims cooperation, was common. He saw them "all the time," he said. The case was additionally unusual in that it was never referred to the county prosecutor's office, which handles felonies. 

Sign up for Scene's weekly newsletters to get the latest on Cleveland news, things to do and places to eat delivered right to your inbox.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

We welcome readers to submit letters regarding articles and content in Cleveland Scene. Letters should be a minimum of 150 words, refer to content that has appeared on Cleveland Scene, and must include the writer's full name, address, and phone number for verification purposes. No attachments will be considered. Writers of letters selected for publication will be notified via email. Letters may be edited and shortened for space.

Email us at

Cleveland Scene works for you, and your support is essential.

Our small but mighty local team works tirelessly to bring you high-quality, uncensored news and cultural coverage of Cleveland and beyond.

Unlike many newspapers, ours is free – and we'd like to keep it that way, because we believe, now more than ever, everyone deserves access to accurate, independent coverage of their community.

Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing pledge, your support helps keep Cleveland's true free press free.

Read the Digital Print Issue

October 21, 2020

View more issues


Never miss a beat

Sign Up Now

Subscribe now to get the latest news delivered right to your inbox.