1. On Saturday, June 1, the Cleveland Vegan Society will host the first annual VegFest. "This is the first event of this kind in this area, and we are thrilled. There is something for everyone," says Amy Wagar Cinch, President of the Cleveland Vegan Society. This free, all-day event will host an array of well regarded vegan speakers, who will discuss topics that cover all aspects of vegan living, from the latest nutritional advice and sustainable food methods, to animal ethics and environmental and social justice. Vegan chefs will present cooking demos, including Rashid Mitcham from Mo Bite Products. Local "veg-friendly" restaurants also will be on hand selling prepared vegan food. Fox 8's Emily Valdez will emcee the event. VegFest will take place from 9:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. at the Cleveland State University Student Center (2121 Euclid Ave.). There will be an after-party at the Agora Theater featuring comedian Jamie Kilstein, live music, complimentary vegan food, and raffles. Cost for this event is $15. Tickets for the after-party can be purchased at clevelandvegansociety.org.
2. On Saturday, June 1, the 4th annual Woof, Wag & Wine event to benefit Lake Humane Society will take over Grand River Cellars in Madison from 1 to 5 p.m. The $10 cost buys you and your furry four-legged friend a tour of the vineyards, while you get to enjoy wine samples, live music and a chance to win great prizes in the auctions. Guests are encouraged to bring chairs, blankets and canopies to set up on the lawn. One dollar from every bottle of wine sold at the event also benefits Lake Humane.
5750 S. Madison Rd., Madison, 440-298-9838, grandrivercellars.com
3. On Tuesday, June 4, Stone Mad Pub, Restaurant and Bocce in Detroit Shoreway will host Sippin' on a Whiskey. Think you know all there is about Jameson Irish Whiskey? Well, sit a spell with the Jameson Ambassador from Dublin and you'll likely learn a little bit more about the storied brand. Starting at 7 p.m., guests will sample five different Jameson brand whiskeys while snacking on a variety of light appetizers. Seating is limited, tickets are $15 per person, and reservations should be made by calling the pub.
1306 W. 65th St., 216-281-6500
4. On Wednesday, June 5, Great Lakes Brewing Company is hosting Beer School. Starting at 7 p.m. in the tasting room, the event includes an extensive tour of the production brewery, where guides will share their knowledge of everything from ingredients to fermentation and packaging. Each two-hour Beer School class is limited to 30 attendees. The $35 cost nets each person an official "beer school graduate" tee, a five-ounce GLBC tasting glass, a light snack and an extensive guided tasting of the Great Lakes family of beers. Participants must be 21 or older to attend, and reservations must be made online at GLBC's website.
2515 Market Ave., 216-771-4404, greatlakesbrewing.com.
5. On Thursday, June 6, Fahrenheit will host an Ohio Wine Dinner. June is Ohio Wine Month and what better way to celebrate than with chef Rocco Whalen as he prepares six deliciously paired courses? Kicking off at 6:30 p.m., the $65 per person dinner will wet your whistle and please your palate with a multi-course offering of food and wine. Lake Erie walleye with compressed watermelon, cucumber water, served with sushi rice and pink asparagus, is paired with a 2011 Grand River Valley Pinot. Another course features an Ohio lamb "gyro" served with a 2008 Grand River Valley Cabernet Banc. Seating is limited and a credit card is required at time of reservation.
2417 Professor Ave., 216-781-8858, fahrenheitcleveland.com
Subscribe now to get the latest news delivered right to your inbox.