January 29, 2021

Vintage Photos Showcasing the Cardiac Pioneers in Cleveland Medicine From the 1950s to 1970s

The Cleveland Clinic is a Cleveland institution, with basically a whole neighborhood to themselves in the city and outposts in every suburb and town in Northeast Ohio. But it's not just their modern innovations that have been world-renowned. Back in the 1950s, 60s and 70s, the Clinic and other hospitals and research centers around town were on the cutting edge of cardiac research. These photos capture some of those advancements.

All photos via the Cleveland Memory Project.

Scroll down to view images

Join the Cleveland Scene Press Club

At a time when local-based reporting is critical, support from our readers is essential to our future. Join the Cleveland Scene Press Club for as little as $5 a month

 Dr. Frederick Cross and Richard Jones Consult in Heart Labortory, 1956

Dr. Frederick Cross and Richard Jones Consult in Heart Labortory, 1956

 Drs. Earl B. Kay (left) and Frederick Cross of St. Luke's Hospital Adjust Their Heart-Lung Machine, 1956

Drs. Earl B. Kay (left) and Frederick Cross of St. Luke's Hospital Adjust Their Heart-Lung Machine, 1956

 One of World's First Stopped Heart Surgeries at the Cleveland Clinic, 1956

One of World's First Stopped Heart Surgeries at the Cleveland Clinic, 1956

 Team of Clinic Nurses and Doctors who Participated in Cleveland's First Stopped Heart Surgery, 1956

Team of Clinic Nurses and Doctors who Participated in Cleveland's First Stopped Heart Surgery, 1956

 Drs. Willem Kolff and Tetsuzo Akitsu Examine an Artificial Heart Developed at the Cleveland Clinic, 1958

Drs. Willem Kolff and Tetsuzo Akitsu Examine an Artificial Heart Developed at the Cleveland Clinic, 1958

 Cleveland Press Article Describing Dr. Claude Beck Best Heart Surgeon in the Country, 1958

Cleveland Press Article Describing Dr. Claude Beck Best Heart Surgeon in the Country, 1958

 Cleveland Press Article Declaring Cleveland Heart Center of the World, 1958

Cleveland Press Article Declaring Cleveland Heart Center of the World, 1958

 Artificial Heart Developed by the Cleveland Clinic, First to Ever be Implanted in an Animal, 1958

Artificial Heart Developed by the Cleveland Clinic, First to Ever be Implanted in an Animal, 1958

 Patient Undergoing Routine Heart Catheterization, 1958

Patient Undergoing Routine Heart Catheterization, 1958

 Watching a Heart Catheterization on a TV Screen at the Cleveland Clinic, 1958

Watching a Heart Catheterization on a TV Screen at the Cleveland Clinic, 1958